Fast User Switching looking for password

pjwheeldon 03:08 11 Aug 2006

I have 2 user accounts on my PC (XP home SP2), and have always swapped between them using Start+L. Today however I find that I can log into one of the accounts after start up, but if I use above or select switch user I am asked for the password. Neither account is password protected, so after trying to just enter, I gave up and went back to the original account, only to find the same thing! Only solution was to restart.

tried resetting both accounts once logged back in, but made no difference. Also tried giving each account a password, but still the same, only this time it did not recognise the correct passowrd I was typing in.

Then turned off Fast User switching. This allows me to move from one account to the other without a problem (and without a password) but not really practical, as it shuts down the software I have running on the "live" profile.

Never had this before; could it be connected with the new MS security updates which have just been downloaded? As always, grateful for any help.

Gongoozler 06:58 11 Aug 2006

I don't know if it works for user account switching as I only have the one account, but try Start - Run - "control userpasswords2" (without the inverted commas), then remove the tick from "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

pjwheeldon 09:36 11 Aug 2006

Thanks for the tip, but no luck. The tick was there. I removed it and set a default account as required, but on turning back on fast user switching, still was asked for non-existent passwords. Also re-tried setting a password for one of the accounts, but this was not recognised.

Please help someone; really is a pain in the a**e!! :-)

pjwheeldon 21:22 11 Aug 2006

Updated my ATi drivers, and loaded up the .net framework thingie (I have no idea what it does. Hey presto, next time I tried to fast switch it worked like a charm!

Got no sensible answers as to why, but still: problem solved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone