Family Tree Research/Building Programs

Proclaimer 11:44 09 Nov 2010

Which Family Tree Building and or Research programs work best with ancestry.co.uk

'Dad' has a subscription to the website and I know nothing about it. Can the tree be downloaded-exported to another local program?

If not should he perhaps use one to upload data instead, if possible?

A beginners 'guide' would be useful here from anyone that has got into Family Research using that site.

Programs he has been told about include Gedcom and kith and kin.

Thanks.

shellship 11:51 09 Nov 2010

Family Tree Maker is the one made and sold by Ancestry and works well. Your dad can create a gedcom file from his tree on the Ancestry site and download it. This file can be used by many family tree software programs but I use it with Family Tree Maker. Here is a list of some of those available. click here

Woolwell 12:00 09 Nov 2010

I doubt that there is enough room here to put a beginners guide. Ancestry does have a useful learning centre. Ancestry as a site is very useful for searching the census and many other databases. Findmypast click here is another site which includes the 1911 census which Ancestry does not. I have a subscription to both (probably too much!).
There are many programs that assist you in collating your Family History and allow you to build your tree. Most of these programs create a gedcom database file (gedcom is not a program but a file structure). A gedcom file can be uploaded to Ancestry (but I think thus may only be available if you have a tree there already).

Consider such programs as Family Tree maker click here or Family Historian.

Family history becomes quite absorbing can take some time, can be frustrating and can be very rewarding.

Yokel 12:25 09 Nov 2010

'Family Historian' is a very comprehensive genealogical program. It has quite a learning curve but it's worthwhile. The help and user forum are also good. GEDCOM is the genealogical file format which is file type .GED. Trees are held in GED files and can be uploaded from within Family Historian and a tree can be retreived from Ancestry as a GED file. Ancestry filters to remove details of living persons from an uploaded file.
As you continue to do research you are likely to expand the local data and the corresponding on-line tree separately anyway.

Woolwell 12:30 09 Nov 2010

Agree with Yokel about Family Historian which is the program that I now use having tried others. It has a good tutorial.

minilite 15:13 09 Nov 2010

Depends on what operating system you are using and will upgrade to in the future

XP 32bit FT2006 would be okay 0R FT2010

WINDOWS 7 32bit you would be able to use this program on it

If you have Windows 7 64bit you can only use the later versions of any Ft program such as on Vista 64 bit FT2010 with a patch

Do not buy any program on any computer that you will upgrade to 64bit you will not be able to transfer your precious data to it
And the only FT program that could be able to be used on a windows 7 64 bit is an FT 2011 Program

Woolwell 16:17 09 Nov 2010

I assume that you are referring to Family Tree Maker 2011
64 bit is supported by Family Historian.

Proclaimer 17:12 09 Nov 2010

It will be used on a win 7 x64 laptop

bremner 17:17 09 Nov 2010

I quite happily run Family Tree Maker 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit and have never patched it.

muddypaws 17:58 09 Nov 2010

Ancestry Uk have a free phone help line to somwhere in the mid States.
I have used them twice in the past and will guide you through any site problems with no rush. I spoke for 30 mins once and they wouldn't let me go until I fully understood the instructions.
Not really relevant to your query, but handy to know, assauming the number is still in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017