Falsh Drive Faulty?

AubreyS 10:26 18 May 2008

I have a 4Gb flash drive. When I insert it into one of three PC's, they see it fine but I'm not able to access it and I get a message...

"The disk in [name of drive] is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

To which I say yes to. Then it say's...

"The drive in [name of drive] cannot be formatted.

Does this mean that the flash memory is damaged and beyond repair?
Thanks.

MAT ALAN 10:29 18 May 2008

If it's doing this consistently on every computer you've tried it on, there's a very good chance the flash drive is bad in some way. But before writing off the drive as no good, try to format it with different file systems. For instance, if you're using FAT32, try formatting it as FAT16 and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you're trying the "quick format" option with no luck, deselect that and see if that changes anything, since this will force the drive to be formatted completely instead of just erasing the file allocation tables.

AubreyS 10:31 18 May 2008

Hi Mat
It does not give me any option to format it, I just get the message, the drive cannot be formatted.

MAT ALAN 10:34 18 May 2008

Here is my very own tried and tested solution...
"
SMACK IT WIV A BIG "AMMER"

go buy a new one......

AubreyS 10:34 18 May 2008

Cheers!!!

chub_tor 10:42 18 May 2008

Hang on here you said in your first post "I have a 4Gb flash drive. When I insert it into one of three PC's, they see it fine... That surely means the drive is not faulty.
Have you tried other flash drives in your machine and do they have the same result or do they work correctly?

AubreyS 10:45 18 May 2008

I have just tried two other flash drives in the three PC's and they all work fine. So it looks like the 4Gb is damaged.

AubreyS 11:21 18 May 2008

It looks like a new one to be ordered!

AubreyS 11:27 18 May 2008

AubreyS 11:28 18 May 2008

I've ticked resolved, but this posting does not seem to close.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?