False positive with a2 anti-virus

playmofire 21:14 26 Jan 2010

A recent scan of my laptop with a2 anti-virus threw up a high risk Trojan-Dropper Delf!IK in C:\Windows\Installer\244cc9.msi. However, no other scan (Norton 360, SUPERantispyware, Adaware, Spybot S&D or MalWarebyte have picked it up. I've tried uploading the file to Virus Total for a check there, but cannot find the file location when browsing my laptop. A search on Google for 244cc9.msi doesn't throw up any results.

Is this a false +ve?

Why can't I access Windows\Installer?

Any advice gratefully received.

birdface 21:35 26 Jan 2010

If it is a false positive A squared will reinstall it for you on one of there next updates providing you just quarantined it.

playmofire 21:58 26 Jan 2010

Thanks for that, buteman. a2 seems a bit prone to false +ves. It threw up another on the same scan, Trojan.HTML.Pcard!IK which I uploaded to Virus Total (it was a large file) for a scan. After about three hours four applications had scanned it and found it OK and I then had to shutdown, so I assume that was another false +ve.

p;3 05:28 27 Jan 2010

Which protection programs do you have installed there? It is possible you are running with more than one antivirus program

one version of A2 has antivirus properties
click here

plus you say you have Norton ?

birdface 09:06 27 Jan 2010

A Squared normally works Ok with other Anti-Virus programs installed.it has used Anti-Malware with Anti-Virus for a year or so Not sure if this new version is different or not.
I would imagine anyone using a Squared would Automatically have been updated to the new version.But something to think about.

playmofire 19:24 27 Jan 2010

I'm on version 4.5.0.27. Yes, IU do have other antivirus running, notably Norton 360. I also have the other applications listed in my first post.

birdface 20:30 27 Jan 2010

If A Squared has not reinstalled it yet.
Maybe install it again from Quarantine.Reboot and see if Windows Installer works again.
Update A Squared and run it and see if it finds the same problem again.If not you know it must have been a false positive.

birdface 20:33 27 Jan 2010

As far as I know this is the latest Windows Installer.

click here

birdface 20:39 27 Jan 2010

That last click her is only for XP and Vista if you use Windows 7 it is version 5 but not sure if it is out of Beta yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017