Is this a false positive?

johndrew 17:05 25 Aug 2007

I ran a full scan of my PC today with AVG, Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Terminator and a-squared free. Everything was clear (apart from a few cookies) until the scan with a-squared which came up with `btwebcontrol.dll` in Windows\system32. It claimer it is a `dialer`.

I have Googled it but find the results a bit confusing and inconclusive. I am and always have been with Wanadoo/Orange so many of the possible false positives would not apply.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject please?

Thanks in anticipation.

VoG II 17:12 25 Aug 2007

I'm not sure either but click here

johndrew 17:21 25 Aug 2007

Thanks for your swift response.

I have it quarantined and as you can see my connection still works, so unless there is better information/evidence I shall leave it there.

First `nasty` for some considerable time; hope it stays that way!!!

Thanks again.

woodchip 17:32 25 Aug 2007

Are you on Dial-Up????? Are you using BT as your ISP???

johndrew 17:40 25 Aug 2007

The answer to both is `no`.

I was with Wanadoo on dial-up over 20 months ago but converted to Wanadoo (now Orange) broadband and have been there ever since.

woodchip 17:45 25 Aug 2007

If you are not on Dial-Up. then there is no reason to fear a Dial-Up program as it will not work with BB

johndrew 17:51 25 Aug 2007

Thanks for that.

I still have my old modem installed and it could be used in an emergency so being rid of a dialer has to be worthwhile. It would also be interesting to know where I picked it up. The only possible site I can think of was the clock here click here McAfee SiteAdvisor said it was safe, but Web Security Guard had it down as suspect.

woodchip 17:53 25 Aug 2007

Its OK so long as it's not connected

woodchip 17:54 25 Aug 2007

Only thing I could think of for using my old Modem, would be to send faxes

cocteau48 17:57 25 Aug 2007

If it is any consolation johndrew I think that nearly everything which A squared has ever found on my system has turned out to be a false positive.
If you look on their forum the number of postings querying FP's outnumbers everything else.

brundle 18:01 25 Aug 2007

Upload it to virustotal; click here

Scans the file with several AV products

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?