faked email address

halliborange 23:03 22 Jan 2008

I have today received over 400 mail delivery failure notifications. It appears that a spammer has faked my e mail address when sending out mail. This results in all the "undeliverable" mail being reported back to me. Does anyone have any practical suggestions (yes, i would of course love to strangle the spammer) about what I could do to stop this? Hope you can help, Thanks

johnnyrocker 23:08 22 Jan 2008

i would guess that someone who knows you has a mail virus which proceeds to mai out as everyone in the users address book, and because yours is correct and recipient is wrong you as a result get the 'bounces' i doubt it is the work of a spammer

johnny.

lotvic 23:26 22 Jan 2008

this explains how it can happen click here

halliborange 23:31 22 Jan 2008

Thanks, I think it is spam as some of the bounces contain the original message which is "Save today 60% Off ALL Designer Footwear such as Gucci Prada Chanel" so it certainly looks like spam. 400 bounces is quite high and indicates that a lot of mail must have been sent. Cheers, David

birdface 07:34 23 Jan 2008

You could use E Prompter.All your mail will get sent there,And you just delete the spam and whatever you keep gets transferred to you own e-mail box.Its free.click here

BT 08:06 23 Jan 2008

We put a dummy address in the first position in our address book. something like
worm send
E-mail Address(es):

this is supposed to stop anyone hijacking your address book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?