FAKE Windows Genuine Advantage

Sebire 14:21 08 Jun 2007

I have a full version of windows XP SP1 - I dont use it to go on the internet, so, I have not upgraded it too SP2. But every time I'd load it up It would constantly remind me that it was not up to date, and after months of this, I became infuriated by it, and mentioned it to a friend. Who said they "could sort it for me"...
So He installed the Windows Genuine Avantage "Crack". Which did'nt work. and he left bemused. I don't use or condone illegal software or priracy, but at first he told me it was legit, and from microsoft. So I have uninstalled it.
But this is where the problem lies, now when it load it up, I have to wait while it tells me that my XP software is not genuine. And whilst using it, that it isn't genuine. My friend says the only way to fix it is with a clean reinstall. But I dont wish to do this. I've virus scanned it, Spyware and adware scanned it too. Deleted the program files folder and removed its registery entries. Please if somebody can help me remove this burden and restore my computer to its original self I'd be very grateful.

rabadubdub 14:28 08 Jun 2007

I'm afraid that if you're getting the warning about it not being genuine (and a Star in the SysTray?), then you will have to reinstall to remove it.
As you say, it's a legit system. You're friend shouldn't have used a crack version of WGA, you can get it free from Microsoft anyway.. just have your product key, details when you visit the site.

Rab

rabadubdub 14:29 08 Jun 2007

Turn off Auto Updating when you do reinstall, to prevent annoying out-of-date messages

Sebire 14:39 08 Jun 2007

rubadub, thanks.
I do have the blue star in the system tray, and may be your on to some thing,..
I have all the updates for XP SP1, what would happen if I removed the updates? or percifically, the right one?

Pamy 14:39 08 Jun 2007

Just an observation that I do not understand, if as you say"I dont use it to go on the internet," then how can it tell you that it is out of date?

Can you do a restore to a time before your friend installe the "crack"

rabadubdub 14:45 08 Jun 2007

I'm told the only way to remove the warnings is by clean install, sorry. I'm loathe to do it myself even when I know it's the only thing that will fix a problem.
'Fraid you'll have to bite the bullet.
Just make sure you have all your drivers for hardware and software. If any are missing, try driverguide.com - need to register with email address for password but it's a good facility.
Checkout MSFN forums and the Microsoft Knowledge Base, for alternates, but I think you're stumped.

Rab

Mark10 17:47 08 Jun 2007

If you have another PC with internet access, try typing "windows genuine advantage removal tool" into google.

p;3 17:54 08 Jun 2007

found this click here

from a google search
click here=
click here

??any help?

lotvic 00:05 09 Jun 2007

Here is a tool you can download, to remove WGA and the blue star that is in your bottom right hand corner
click here

read this pca thread click here for further info on how to etc.

missingit 07:10 09 Jun 2007

Some nice links folks.

Sebire 12:29 09 Jun 2007

That you all very much i will try the tool that lotvic suggested and get back to you. Thanks all of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?