Fake security center

Siberian Winter 03:56 15 Aug 2009

Any advice would be appreciated. My PC runs XP Pro SP3 with F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security. I also use Regcure registry optimising software. I picked up a virus/trojan from somewhere, and F-Secure cleaned it up OK. I had other pop-ups and balloons appearing, but using advice from the internet I've managed to get rid of them. I am left with 2 Security Center icons in the control panel, one called Security Center which shows everything OK, and another called Windows Security Center which shows no antivirus system enabled, and suggesting I click on a link to get some. Further research tells me that the 'Windows Security Center' is a fake. What I can't find is any advice on how to get rid of it. F-Secure finds no problems, and all I get online is a load of software to download, trial versions which tell me I've got malware but won't remove anything. And how do I know I can trust them? If anyone can help me out I'd be grateful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 07:43 15 Aug 2009
  Halmer 07:43 15 Aug 2009
  Halmer 07:44 15 Aug 2009

as a Malware source itself for me so I'd avoid it and Google your problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 07:53 15 Aug 2009
  lotvic 09:32 15 Aug 2009

This you can trust to get rid of Windows Security Suite click here guide and removal instructions.

and I would also suggest you uninstall RegCure as it is regarded as a scam program that's not much use.
Most use Ccleaner click here

Also recommend you install SpywareBlaster click here (manual update required)

These are all Free Programs. Read Skidzy's guide/thread Safe and Clean Computers 2 click here

Remove Regcure immediately! Regcure does more harm than good. It is also know for allowing viruses into computers and laptops. Instead I would use Ccleaner and SpywareBlaster. Both programs are free. Not to mention that SpywareBlaster requires manual updating but it is worth the effort if it keeps yor system safe from spyware. An alternative SpywareBlaster would be Spyware Search and Destroy. If you have anti-virus software remove it as I would suggest Avast Anti-Virus 4.8 Home Edition which is free. To optimize your PC I would recommend that you use Advanced Windows Care Professional 2.9 from the PC Advisor August 2009 Cover Disc.

Stuartli 23:32 15 Aug 2009

Great minds, it would seem, think alike....

In my case, I use SUPERAntispyware, Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster - what one might miss the other will pick up whilst SpywareBlaster works in the background and requires no attention.

SUPERAntispyware has updates on a daily basis whilst S and D updates are released on Wednesdays; in both cases it is done manually.

Avast! is a first class AV and updates automatically, advising both verbally and visually it has done so.

Siberian Winter 00:44 16 Aug 2009

Many thanks to you all. I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which removed the fake. I'll also take your advice and remove Regcure, even though I paid good money for it :(
F-Secure I'll keep. It's the one my employer (Rolls Royce) uses on the company's computers, so I assume it must be half decent. They extended the licence so that employees can use it at home. I will be following up on all of your advice. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?