Fake anti spyware and Malwarebytes error

mermaid25 16:00 10 Mar 2010

yesterday I had a warning from a fake Antispyware program telling me i was infected and to download and run the program .
it was displayed like the 'my computer' window showing a couple of folder icons and disk icons and a list of infections.
I thought this wasn't correct so searched for a solution.
I realised I already had malwarebytes installed, so tried to update and got an error code
732(12029,0).
Did the scan anyway, it didn't find anthing and it took 4 hours!

today I have uninstalled Malwarebytes and reinstalled it ( twice and still get the error when updating. ( also, when i look in the quarantine tab it shows files already in there . surely if it has been removed and I am downloading and installing again it shouldnt have anything quarantined)
I know theres a lot of questions here, but am I right in thinking I need to sort out the Malwarebytes issue so it can find and remove. the fake anti spyware.

thanks in advance.

Sea Urchin 16:06 10 Mar 2010

What is the name of the fake antispyware program. You need to stop the process before downloading and running Malwarebytes - your existing version will have been corrupted by the rogue program.

dfh 16:16 10 Mar 2010

Have a looh here for details on the error message
click here

mermaid25 16:36 10 Mar 2010

Sea Urchin
it doesn't have a name just says Anti spyware scan.

while i was waiting for a reply i did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and it found Rogue.Residue.

dfh
i have been looking at this list allday and trying all they suggest but no luck.

mrmillimetre 16:42 10 Mar 2010

try spybot s&d firstclick here then run malwarebytes

mermaid25 16:48 10 Mar 2010

mrmillimetre

spybot... did yesterday....no threats found

malwarebytes ..as i said in my last reply , just did a quick scan and it found Rogue.Residue

but i don't know if this is it.
last night I looked in Program files and add/remove programs but couldn't find any names of things that shouldn't be there

Pine Man 16:55 10 Mar 2010

Have you googled 'rogue residue' lots of hits and lots of solutions.

mrmillimetre 17:18 10 Mar 2010

Apparently ATF cleaner can deal with this click here worth a try

Diemmess 17:21 10 Mar 2010

Could your nasty program be AntiSpy 2010?

If so.
SuperAntiSpyware will shift it.
A downloadable freebie which must be installed and run from a pen drive or other removable medium.

The computer must be started in Safe Mode, then run SuperAntiSpyware
Choose the full scan and accept the default settings.

It may take quite a time, very approximately 40Gb/hour.

At the end, accept the default choice of files to be rid of, then reboot having removed the pen drive.

I did this for a friend's laptop last week thanks to guidance from this forum.
click here

There was a problem with a missing file on rebooting, but this seemed to be part of the original mess.
There is another download which will sort this too - if needed.

mermaid25 17:51 10 Mar 2010

thanks for all your replies, I'm not sure that it is Anti spy 2010, as there has been a name on the display.
i still don't really know what to do, so many options.
this program is not a nuisance ...I have only seen it 3 times, but laptop has been slow for a while.
I'm off out to work but will try a few of the suggestions when I get in about 9.30( I suppose another late night for me then!)

any more thoughts about the update error would be appreciated.

mermaid25 17:52 10 Mar 2010

i did run CCleaner, is that the same as ATF?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?