a fairly simple broadband query

blueblueblue 12:28 05 Jan 2007

Hello!

A fairly simple broadband query for you all.

A few months ago I cancelled my Wanadoo Broadband connection (now Orange)

Would it be possible to set up a new broadband connection today? I need to get online today.

(I no longer have my modem)

Would this be possible if

- I set up a new account today.

- And I bought a new modem today?

Or would it take a week or so to reestablish the connection?

Many thanks,

A

Internetwhizzkid 13:11 05 Jan 2007

On orange? It will take some time in which to re register for the broadband and then if you use the wireless and talk package you would have to wait at least 10 days in which everything would then be set up (ie getting the modem, activation and the establishihn a connection to the home phone line. I would probally say it better just to go to your library or a freinds house, That way you will get onto the internet quicker specially if you want to get on today.

Why did you cancel your account anyway?

Hope this helps

Thanks
Ben

Technotiger 13:17 05 Jan 2007

The only way to get on-line *today* would be via a friends' pc or local library or internet cafe.

Cheers

rodriguez 13:32 05 Jan 2007

If you just want to get online, you could set up a dial up connection. You can get a provider that dials out an 0845 number and charges as if it's a local rate phone call. When my broadband changed over I used 1-2-Free. The details for these are:

Dial Up Number - 0845 088 4191
Username - [email protected]
Password - connect

Just plug your old dial up modem into the phone line and go to Control Panel, Network Connections and then on Create a new connection. Go through the New Connection Wizard and Press New Connection, Set up connection manually, Connect using dial up modem, put a name in that you want to call it eg. 1-2-Free, put the dial up number in, then the username and password press Next then Finish. When you click on this connection, it will dial up and connect to the Internet. If dial up speeds are too slow and you need broadband, you'll have to wait a few days for your line to be cleared and then a new DSL service activated on it.

terryf 13:35 05 Jan 2007

Try Eclipse, IMO better than Orange and small is beautiful

Technotiger 14:04 05 Jan 2007

I must be getting old - I forgot I had this one bookmarked ...

click here

blueblueblue 15:09 05 Jan 2007

Thankyou all for helping me with this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?