Fairly new printer won't work with Vista

ernieernie 16:40 19 Jun 2007

I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 which is not very old and suits me very well, but having a new computer with Vista installed has put it out of action.
I went on to the Canon web site and having received their response I did as I was told and downloaded the latest driver for it. At least I think I did. It didn't appear in my downloads folder but it may have gone somewhere useful because now I sometimes can print but only if I unplug the USB input and re-connect it and then not always - at the moment not at all.
I fear that even buying a new printer might not help - perhaps some kind person out there has some experience or ideas

Fingees 16:46 19 Jun 2007

I would download the driver again.

This time to somewhere useful, like desktop.

I always do, they are easier to find. Then I put them where I want them.

Then run, and there should be no problem with installation.

All the best

Jackcoms 16:46 19 Jun 2007

"It didn't appear in my downloads folder but it may have gone somewhere useful"

Only you know what you did with those drivers.

The normal procedure is to download what is probably an .exe file or a zip file and then use that file to install the drivers onto your PC.

ambra4 16:48 19 Jun 2007

Did you unplug the printer before installing new driver,

if not unplug printer and reinstall driver

ernieernie 17:20 19 Jun 2007

Thanks, Fingees, Jackcoms and ambra4. Between you you made me realise that I actually hadn't downloaded the driver at all. My 83 year-old eyes didn't spot the craftily hidden instructions in the download screen. I have now managed the download and installation and "Open Sesame", it's like magic.
Now all I have to do is get my Agfa Snapscan e50 to work and we are nearly there! I may be back for more - watch this space!
PC Advisor does it again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone