Faint(er) text in Google Search Box.

thumbscrew 19:20 26 Nov 2010

The print in my Google Search Box has recently become fainter, it's gone from a dark black to a much fainter, almost grey. I've looked everywhere for a font adjuster to darken it, to no avail. Can anyone advise?

GaT7 19:25 26 Nov 2010

If XP or Vista & using a LCD/TFT monitor, try enabling ClearType click here or click here. G

thumbscrew 19:31 26 Nov 2010

Thanks Crossbow, seems quite detailed, it's been ok for years until recently. I was hoping there might be an adjustment on the Google page itself.

grey george 19:34 26 Nov 2010

Is this not part of google's live search which tries to give you results as you type? When you have finished the semitransparent text darkens but is still not as crisp as you would like.

GaT7 19:43 26 Nov 2010

grey george is right I think.

I don't think this feature can be changed to appear darker, but you can turn it off in search preferences: click here & select 'Do not use Google Instant' at the bottom. This doesn't display any light-coloured text & it may suit you better. G

thumbscrew 19:43 26 Nov 2010

Thanks grey george, you're correct. I've just googled "Instant" and, if you turn it off, to the right of the search box, then the text returns to its original shade...first time I heard about it. Problem solved...thanks both.

thumbscrew 19:56 26 Nov 2010

Thanks again Crossbow, I've just discovered that if, as I posted, you disable it to the right of the box, it has the same effect...cheers for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?