Failure to send e-mails - receive e-mail's OK.

nutcrusher 17:57 21 Mar 2003

I receive "An unknown occurred" message.
Acct pop.freeserve.net
Server: SMTP
Protocol: SMTP, Port 25
Secure SSL
No
Error Number 0x800.CCC

Can any one help please?

Nutcrusher.

MAJ 18:03 21 Mar 2003

If that error message is as it appears, it looks like you don't have your SMTP details installed in OE > Tools > Accounts > Freeserve > Properties button > Server tab.

billyliv 20:13 21 Mar 2003

Hi, Check out your smtp settings (details) in Tools> Accounts> Freeserve account> properties. click on the servers tab and your outgoing mail should read smtp.freeserve.net As silly as it sounds a lot of people when entering the details manually put the 'p' before the 't', a space where it shouldn't be or the dot in the wrong place. Cheers, Bill

Megatyte 20:32 21 Mar 2003

The Freeserve servers are freeserve.com, not net

AH

powerless 20:36 21 Mar 2003

Actually they can be either .com or .net.

Ironman556 20:44 21 Mar 2003

Are you trying to send via the freeserve account while connected to a different ISP?

Some (most I think) ISP's require you to be connected to them to send emails through their addresses, but you should be able to download mail while connected to any ISP.

For example, I have a BT account and UKOnline. To send via my old UKonline address I must connect to UKOnline or sign into their webmail. I can connect to BT and still receive mail from UKOnline. I don't think there's a workaround, but if anyone knows one please pass it on ;-)

Ironman.

nutcrusher 22:18 21 Mar 2003

MAJ - tried and tested this OK
billyliv - yes checked this OK
MEGATYTE - Yes done both!
Powerless - Yes Freeserve agree.
Ironman556 - Only with freeserve.

I will try deleting all connections etc - switch off - reboot and then reload via a new Freeserve CD, but it may be Sunday before I try this as the computer in question is 90 miles away! Tried Freeserve Helpline but they failed - usually most helpful. This computer worked fine with another ISP - hull24 - but deleted this ISP s the computer not in Hull and switched to freeserve and to make New Connection.

woodchip 22:36 21 Mar 2003

You can set all to send by the one you dial-up to. even when the pop is a different server

Megatyte 15:46 22 Mar 2003

On the Freeserve homepage you'll find a retrieve account link. Delete your F'serve mail accounts and then re-install them using the Configure button at the end of the online wizard.(Password needed)

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017