Failure to recognise IDE Channel 2

Nosmas 15:14 20 Aug 2006

Last year I upgraded my system by fitting a new motherboard (Matsonic MS8147C+), replaced the Fujitsu (MPC3096AT) 10GB HDD with a WD (WD800JB-00FMAO) 80GB and installed XP SP2.

I have just decided to re-install the original HDD and the set-up is now: -

IDE Channel 1 – Master WD HDD
Slave Mitsumi CD-ROM (FX4830T!B)

IDE Channel 2 – Master Fujitsu HDD
Slave LG CD-ROM (CRD-8160B)

The connecting cable for both channels is 80 wire with colour coded plugs. Although these cables are capable of cable select I have set the jumpers on all four devices to Master and Slave as appropriate, mainly because that is the instruction given in the motherboard manual ‘About IDE1 and IDE2 Devices’

On boot-up the Channel 1 devices are recognised and the system boots normally. However the Channel 2 devices are not recognised either in My Computer – Hard Disk Drives (for the Fujitsu) or Removable Storage (for the LG CD-ROM) or in Device Manager. I re-booted and entered BIOS and again found the second channel was not being recognised although both channels were set for Auto-detection.

Any suggestions please as to what may be the cause of this problem.

skell 15:27 20 Aug 2006

sounds like a dodgy connection.. check the cable disconnect it if need be and reconnect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 20 Aug 2006

In BIOS check secondary IDE controller is enabled.

Eric10 16:29 20 Aug 2006

Also check the power connectors to the drives on the secondary channel. With 80 way cables you can set all the drives to cable select and let your PC sort them out. Also, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests, in your Bios under 'Integrated Periferals' each of the on-chip IDE channels can be 'Enabled' or 'Disabled' so it may be worth checking there.

Nosmas 17:13 20 Aug 2006

Thanks to all for your replies. Skell was the one on target. I thought I had double checked all the cable connections but obviously didn't do it thoroughly enough!

Anyway much relieved that problem now resolved.

skell 20:03 21 Aug 2006

;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?