Failure of Easy File transfer.

dave h 15:11 02 Jan 2010

Migrating from XP to windows 7. Ran file transfer wizard on Xp and it ran fine and put a directory named USMT2IMG.DAT on a USB Stick.

Ran Easy File Transfer to put settings on to Windows 7 and it says it can't find the file.

The Folder appears to have no files in it, but shows a size of 345Mb.

Having had previous problems with Easy Transfer before, I had taken the precaution of doing a second copy of the XP run, and this produced a folder named USMT2.UNC with files IMG00001.dat, IMG00002.dat &IMG00003.dat (this backup had files as well as settings and the .dat files are much large), but Easy transfer baulks at this as well.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Dave Howell

dave h 11:13 03 Jan 2010

Bump

GaT7 16:36 03 Jan 2010

Rather than trying to find a solution for this problem, I reckon you'll be better off (& possibly a lot saner) doing the transfer the manual way.

These file transfers have never worked for me - they take too long & then crash midway through! So ever since, I always do manual installs/restores of everything. Doing it this way can get rid of a lot of accumulated junk as well. A freshly-installed OS deserves a fresh start :-), don't you think? G

dave h 15:47 04 Jan 2010

Thanks, but I'm afraid That's locking the door after the horse has bolted!
I have all my working fles on backup, of course, But I woould like to get my Address book and E-Mails back if I can.

GaT7 16:49 04 Jan 2010

Do what is missing the manual way then.

"Thanks, but I'm afraid That's locking the door after the horse has bolted!"

I'd start afresh & do the whole lot manually (yes, including a fresh Win7 install!) - that's what I meant :-). G

dave h 19:59 04 Jan 2010

I Can't start afresh as my Windows 7 install overwrote my Windows XP O.S. so my only copies of the Address book and E-Mails are on the Easy Transfer files which I can't open,

Hence my request for advice on how to recover these.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone