Failure to connect to internet Dell Dimension 5150

Elainiv 14:13 15 Dec 2008

I have a Dell dimension 5150 PC but cannot get internet connection. When I turn the computer on the tower unit seems very loud. My wireless network connection is connected through broadband but my network assistant tells me it is not and that I have a problem with the router. My broadband supplier tells me that the hub is fine. I recently had work done to my house (after which I noticed the tower louder when loading) can anyone please advise on any possible solution.

Thanks

Elaine

Kaacee 14:51 15 Dec 2008

Switch off router and PC, then switch both back on again and see if this "clears" problem.

If not, suggest you go to the home page of the router set up and reset according to their instructions.

howard64 14:54 15 Dec 2008

could be a firewall blocking problem. What firewall are you running and is your ip address showing as trusted or internet?

Elainiv 15:12 15 Dec 2008

BT have carried out some tests on the router (bt home hub) and have said that that is not the probelm. Thay have also suggested a firewall problem. My fire wall is provided by MaAfee. I am not too sure how I can find out if my ip address is trusted or internet?

howard64 08:45 16 Dec 2008

somewhere within mcafee will be a page showing all progs that are allowed or blocked. I do not use this prog so do not know. I am familiar with zone alarm which has a firewall tab and within that a progs tab. As you are using a firewall other than windows you should check that the windows firewall is turned off. Start - progs - accessories - system tools - security centre. At the bottom is windows firewall - click on this and it will tell you it is on or off. With another one windows firewall should be off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie