failure to configure windows updates ???

laptopdunce 17:40 07 Mar 2015

I have just turned on a laptop which hasnt been used for about 3 weeks, it started with a blue page saying configuring windows updates and went up in percentages, then it says, "failure to configure windows updates, undoing changes dont turn off computer....." - its been doing this for 20 mins, now, what should I do?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

wee eddie 18:13 07 Mar 2015

Wait, it can take hours

laptopdunce 18:17 07 Mar 2015

will it eventually fix itself?? I cant get into ANYTHING at all, no start menu, nothing, thanks laptopdunce - I dont know why this has happened.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 07 Mar 2015

wait!!!

If you power off you will totally screw windows.

bumpkin 20:06 07 Mar 2015

when I have had this I have turned it off anyway. reboot it and let it run again, overnight if needed. Never caused any problems for me but FruitBat is more knowledgeable than myself so your decision.

laptopdunce 20:11 07 Mar 2015

so what will happen eventually? will it just show that the homepage? and will this happen again when I log off and shut down? I cant understand why this could happen on a laptop that is only used for making labels on a printer for ebay etc., thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (luckily I have two computers but this is a real pain when one is totally inaccessible)

laptopdunce 20:20 07 Mar 2015

Oh WOW!! its come on again now, I have logged into it and its working OK, but I am a bit afraid now in for when I log off and shutdown if this happens again? do you think it will update OK next time? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:22 07 Mar 2015

should go back to desktop or log in page when completed. the more updates it tried to install the longer it will take to undo.

When its back to normal install the updates manually one at a time.

laptopdunce 20:30 07 Mar 2015

how do I do that?

wee eddie 20:30 07 Mar 2015

If, as you say, it has not been used for several months. There will be a slew of updates to load.

The only way to stop this is to turn off it's Internet connection, which will mean, all the more, next time you log on.

laptopdunce 21:03 07 Mar 2015

will it be uploading updates automatically now it is on and connected to the internet? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?