Failure of BT speedtester

malcolm59uk 19:57 09 Feb 2007

Does anyone know how to get past the click here to actually escalate a broadband problem in the UK.

The helpdesk staff will not pass you through to a test desk for an engineer to actually look at a problem.

I am pretty sure a download speed of up to 8 MB should be more than 192 KB with the upload speed fairly good at 392 KB.

I have pinged the BT site and do not get any response, and on other Forums complaints that Speedtester.bt.com are rife.

The PC in question runs XP Home through a Netgear router with ethernet connection and did a one time run at 1.2 MB - I asked the Sales at BT for an 8MB upgrade and they told me I was already connected since last June.
Here's hoping that someone knows a way to go.
The distance to the main exchange is under 3 miles radially so shouldn't be a problem.The line is a U/G feed onto a Main Line Jack about two feet from the router.

Neighbours do not have a problem, I am sure it is my line connection.

Have you ever tried to ring BT with a broadband problem - they insist you use the web site speedtester.bt.com three times, but the site is unable to be reached!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wont even ping!
At present I am at a loss for the sake of a phone number to actually speak to someone.
Anyone now a way of escalating this?
Thanks for reading this problem.

woodchip 19:59 09 Feb 2007

If you have only just got 8Mb you need to leave it 3 to 4 days for it to set the speed you can download at

Diodorus Siculus 20:04 09 Feb 2007

It's been since June...

woodchip 20:07 09 Feb 2007

So it is. I get that nearly on a 1Mb

woodchip 20:08 09 Feb 2007

I get 974kbps on 1 meg

malcolm59uk 20:08 09 Feb 2007

Well done Diodorus Siculus at least you read right through.

Thanks for answering - any ideas?

malcolm59uk 20:11 09 Feb 2007

Woodchip I wouldn't mind half speed around 4 MB but less than 200 KB is just not on.

woodchip 20:15 09 Feb 2007

Are you a long way from Exchange? also check you phone for noise

woodchip 20:17 09 Feb 2007

You could download this and run it. there is some tools in the menu to setup Windows for the best
click here

chrisjohn 20:18 09 Feb 2007

try this really good...click here

woodchip 20:23 09 Feb 2007

Don't use anything that askes for info it don't need

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?