failure to boot

User-607600DE-6B22-4475-8CD565A723204C45 22:02 18 Sep 2006

i have an old amd duron 1.1ghz pc running windows xp pro.
i use this old machine for testing and fooling around.
it has not been on the internet and only has an operating system and cd writing software.
out of the blue it has started to boot gets as far as the final dos screens switches off and when rebooting as it looks at each hardware unit will not detect the cdrw and hangs at this point.
power off. reboot all hardware is detected reaches the point where it should start booting to windows switches off and repeats the cycle not detecting the slave drive.
i have tired a new psu a different cdrw no effect.
could the ide lead have this affect?
i did once boot into safe mode but this is as far as i got.
any ideas would be gratefuly received.

woodchip 22:11 18 Sep 2006

If you can get back into safe mode, You could have a look to see if System Restore will work and see how far back you can go

i did actually try this but it took ages to restore and it did boot into windows but then shut down after a few minutes.
sorry i should have remembered this and posted it in the original post

it is almost as if the cdrom is being switched off but the change of psu should have resolved this.
does the ide lead have any influence on the power supply or is it purely a data cable?

woodchip 22:29 18 Sep 2006

The IDE ribbon is a Data But if it passes Data it uses Electric. Your PSU may not be big enough

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 18 Sep 2006

Unplug both cables from Cdrom and retry to boot.

woodchip 22:42 18 Sep 2006

Also if you have more than one partition on the Hard Drive. Turn Restore off, all Partitions other than C:\ make that 7% of drive

woodchip 22:52 18 Sep 2006

Last post not meant for hear but if you get it going, it may be worth a check

havent tried that yet but tomorrow seems like the better option i need my beauty sleep.
thanks to all responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?