Fails to boot

Tigaki 09:15 14 Mar 2006

I installed a second hard drive. Everything ok but "Unable to find operating system" which I understand. I think I may have mistaken "Setup" for "Startup" and pressed DEL to enter.
I have removed the secondary hard drive and restored hardware to what it was. When booting up, the system does a memory check, detects primary and secondary masters then:
Initializing plug and play cards.
Card 01 PnP Sound chip.
- then it stops

Harpur 09:18 14 Mar 2006

put your bios back to default settings and see if this message clears

Tigaki 10:12 14 Mar 2006

I've tried this and it goes to a 'System configuration' screen and stops at this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:50 14 Mar 2006

In your system config screen (BIOS)

see if you can find a setting for Boot devices and set the first boot device to CD the second to hard drive.

If hard drive is not set at all then this is your problem, if ard drive is set as first boot device and is detectect Primry master then you may have a problm with the boot sector on the drive.

Let us know how you ge on to advise further if required.

Tigaki 14:59 14 Mar 2006

I think it is set A, C, CD but I'll try your advice tonight.

Tigaki 09:26 16 Mar 2006

I set the boot sequence to CD,C,A - no difference.

woodchip 09:38 16 Mar 2006

If you have not changed any jumpers and you are still using your old drive as Main drive. the other drive should be set to Slave if it is connected to the same ribbon cable as the other Hard Drive.

Jumper on the back edge of drive

Tigaki 11:15 16 Mar 2006

I've removed the second hard drive and I'm sure I reset the jumpers

woodchip 11:29 16 Mar 2006

If it's not a new computer Go into Setup CMOS at computer Start, and auto detect the Hard drive

Tigaki 09:22 21 Mar 2006

I seem to have dropped out of the helproom.
Has anyone any more suggestions please.

Harpur 10:29 21 Mar 2006

it looks like you will have to go back to basics.

1/ take out one of the drives

2/ make the cd rom the first drive then the hdd and the floppy second and third respectively.

3/re-install windows do not repair. it maybe drastic but you are having no luck otherwise.

4/ once the os is installed and updated etc.,then install the secondary hdd as a slave, making sure the jumpers on the right pins. do not try to format it at this stage.

5/ now that it is physically installed although it shows up in the bios, windows will not yet recognise it.

6/ Right click on "My computer" and select "Manage" then "Disk Management". At this point the system will recognise that there is an unpreped drive attached and throw up a requester asking how you wish to partition and format. From here just follow the prompts.

you can then use it as you wish. i'm sorry if any or all of this is obvious to you but we are not sure of your experience.

harpur

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?