failing power supply?

harps1h 21:15 19 May 2007

i have a hiper 480 watt psu operating an Asus m2m32 sli wifi m/board, a 4600 dual core cpu and 2gb of 667 mhz ram in dual channel.
also attached is a 120gb hard drive (SATA)
2 x 6600gt in sli mode
2 x dvd drives
1 x xfi soundcard
gigabit lan card

pulling on the usb is a logitech keyboard
logitech mx 1000 mouse and a saitek 2500 controller.

the m/b is running at stock settings at the moment although the cpu had been overclocked by about 10% before any problems. the only other bios setting changes were just the boot sequence change and turning off any onboard goodies not needed.

my problems began on wednesday when my computer failed to boot properly. it would turn on and the lights would come on for activity but no signal reached my screen. i turned off the psu at the back to cut power to the m/b, took out the battery and did a bios reset. then i replaced the original battery and turned the psu at the back switch. the computer then booted normally to the post screen,and i reset the date, time etc. and did an f10. the computer ran fine all day and i turned it off in the early evening as normal. i returned later but again it would not boot up, so i repeated the sequence from earlier and it booted ok. this has now happened every time i turn on the computer, and i follow the same process. however looking at the notes i took when doing this there is another step which is also repeated; the turning the psu off at the back switch and back on again. so tonight before i booted the system i did the on/off procedure alone and it started to boot normally.

i would appreciate any opinions on this as i think it may not be the m/b but the psu; i not totally convinced though. by the way i have also changed the m/b battery thinking it was it but it all did the same as before

Harpur

harps1h 21:17 19 May 2007

i should also add there are 2 x 120cm fans 2 x 80cm fans and a stacker cross flow fan all attached as well.

harps1h 22:42 19 May 2007

^

woodchip 22:50 19 May 2007

Try taking the Power Plugs of DVD drives see if it starts any better. The PSU is not powerful enough. Not with the Drives and two graphics cards.

You can forget the USB they have a limit that you can put on the sockets then they cut out. it's about 500 milliamps

Trackrat 23:30 19 May 2007

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago posted about it on another forum who suggested it was a faulty motherboard, PSU or hard drive, however after testing various parts in another computer it was the hard drive that was the problem.
So it might be worth going to your hard drive manufacturers web site and download and run there hard drive testing software, at least that will isolate one possible cause.
If you want to check your PSU, Antec do a PSU tester that costs about £12.
click here
And Maplins also do one but I do not know how good that is.

harps1h 12:00 20 May 2007

^

jarvis10@btinternet.com 12:04 20 May 2007

i agree with woodchip, i really think you need a bigger psu.
i had a hiper 530 watt started to wobble with an amd dual core 2 gb ddr and a 8800.
so i would think thats your problem

malgall 12:14 20 May 2007

take out one of the graphics cards run with just one if the problems continue then you will now that the power supply at 480w does have enough power but maybe faulty

harps1h 23:37 21 May 2007

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?