Failed XP Repair

dregn 07:16 05 Sep 2006

I attempted a Repair Install of Win XP Pro as I had been experiencing problems with hanging and general slow performance and 'not responding ' messages.
While carrying out the Repair the procedure reached 'Configuring the Installation' and immediately after this the screen went blank except for the mouse pointer( which was not frozen )and nothing happened. I left the computer running for several hours with no evidence of progress.
I had attempted the Repair Installation several times.I am unable to boot into Windows normally.
Can I retrieve the situation ? If not is there any way of accessing data on the HDD ?
I appreciate that a clean install of the OS is the eventual outcome, but I wish to explore all other solutions.
Advice much appreciated.

MichelleC 10:42 05 Sep 2006

If I recall there's 2 'repair' options on recovery consul. Sometimes the 2nd option is better. Either way sometimes an install or repair has a blip and freezes it's best to just reboot to the top os option. This then continues the process.

If you've only got 1 partition it's not easy to recover data unless you can use Partition magic et al to create another partition, then install os. Or another hd linking as master and install os.

Stuartli 10:45 05 Sep 2006

There are two R options when commencing an XP Repair - one is for Recovery Console which should be avoided and it's the second R (in this case detailed as for a Repair) which should be chosen.

See:

click here

dregn 12:23 05 Sep 2006

MichelleC and Stuartli,
Thank you for your helpful advice.

One course of action, it seems to me, is to do a fresh install of Win XP Pro, but to partition the drive during the install and install the OS on one of the partitions created. It is a 300GB drive and has plenty of space.It is probably 'wishful thinking' on my part to expect the data on the drive to be accessible after the clean install has been completed, so that is probably not a good idea.

The alternative as suggested would be to add a fresh HDD and do a clean install of the OS.
When that is completed, what are the chances of the original HDD being visible to the OS ? ( and being able to access and transfer my files )

Third alternative would be to send the drive away to a data recovery firm.
Many thanks for your input.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 05 Sep 2006

Boot from windows XP CD into recovery consul

does it show an OS to acess?

if you get into recovery consul OK then at the c:\ prompt type fixboot press enter
then exit to reboot the PC it may put you into your Op system OK.

Using Recovery Consul
click here
or
click here

dregn 07:37 06 Sep 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/
Thank you for your suggestion - a pity I did not read it before I started dissassembling my PC !
It is now in bits ( I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade the CPU ) but I will try your tip on the subject HDD when I get it back together.
Many thanks for your trouble.

dregn 10:48 12 Sep 2006

All is now fixed.
I have added a new HDD and reinstalled WinXP Pro.
The original C Drive is accessible and I am delving into the drive to find Address books , mail etc. Reinstalling Applications and so on.
Many thanks to all for your help.
Denis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?