failed updates

taskmaster 10:33 22 Mar 2009

I ceased using Windows calendar because each occasion trying to check for updates it reported that "lost connection to Windows help.."
Then I downloaded Mozilla Sunbird calendar.
When I try for updates with Sunbird, I get "No Update - AUS:Update XML File Malformed (200)".
Also when I open HP Updates and "Installshield", I'm told an Internet Connection is required. And yet I have no other trouble with the internet and before someone asks whether the router/modem is switched on at the time of my checks, the answer is yes, and this is how I'm posting this plea for help. Anyone any thoughts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 22 Mar 2009

op system?

Start- run- type sevices.msc press ok
scroll down to background intelligent transfer make sure its started and set to Automatic.

retry your download.

taskmaster 10:21 23 Mar 2009

Fruit Bat /\o/\.
Thanks but it didn't work. Background Intelligent transfer is on and set to automatic. I restarted it just in case but still no update connection for these programs. I'm using Vista Home Premium. Glad for further thoughts.

taskmaster 15:59 06 May 2009

Have downloaded Firefox 3.0 now unable to complete installation as it cannot connect with internet to update for the same reason i.e. "No Update - AUS:Update XML File Malformed (200)".
Is this a problem only with Open Source software?
Appreciate any more suggestions on how to cure.

taskmaster 10:43 07 May 2009

Have decided to uninstall Firefox. It appears to be preventing IE connection of other websites which are not open source.
It may well be a good browser but it's clearly not for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?