Failed to query TCP/IP settings

Ravix 15:22 27 Mar 2006

WARNING: I AM a newb.

I'm currently connected to a Road Runner modem (through a wireless router by Linksys)

Umm.. running on Windows XP

Anyway, the problem.. The problem is sometimes the connection poops out. (As it has done MANY times in the past.) Before, we were always able to fix it by clicking the "repair" button. But now it tells me:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed.

Help!

The 12th Man 15:58 27 Mar 2006

Try resetting winsock.

I'm assuming you have SP2 installed. If not let me know and I'll give you a different workaround.

Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.
Type in :-
netsh winsock reset
Then press ENTER and restart your computer.

Next, repeat the first part of the previous step.
(Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.)
Type in :-
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Then press ENTER and restart your computer again.

You should now be able to connect to your router.

Good luck.

Ravix 17:08 27 Mar 2006

Okay, I did just as you said. And now it only lets me connect when I disable or enable the other connection. (I think it's the option for a dial-up connection) It seems to be working right now, but it dies every now and then, and when it does I still can't repair it. Like I said, I have to disable or enable the other internet option for it to connect. It's weird.

woodchip 17:26 27 Mar 2006

Try running System Restore to Earlier date. Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore look for bold text date to restore

Ravix 18:01 27 Mar 2006

I did that and then it wouldn't connect at all. I undid the restore and it seems to be working alright now. I don't know what the problem was but I'm not messing with the repair button. haha. (I'm just gonna deal)

Thanks both of you for helping out.

woodchip 18:07 27 Mar 2006

After running System Restore, I forgot to tell you that you should switch the router off then back on

Ravix 07:22 28 Mar 2006

oki doki. Thanks much. ^^

Nilay Patel 23:06 11 Jan 2010

For people who are having trouble fixing the
"Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection," this MIGHT solve the problem...

Go to Control Panel, and go to Network and Internet Conections. Click Network Connections.
Right click the connection that isn't working, and go to properties. Under "this connection uses the following items," make sure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is checked. Click OK and see if it works.

If you didn't get any of my instructions, or if it didn't work, I'm sorry, I'm only 14 :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?