Failed Processor Update - PC slow now

KentE 10:09 05 Mar 2011

I bought an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 (SLGUR) on e-bay as used but tested and OK, for my GA-8I945PLGE-RH motherboard.

Fitted it and when I try to start the PC it just made the fans turn for a second and it would do nothing else. I had aligned it like the old one was.

I put the old processor back in, but now the PC crawls in everything it does. Is it possible that it would work at all if some pin or pins were damaged?

I washed my hands and grounded myself every time I touched anything.

Any ideas anyone? I am not that expert, but an earlier attempt at changing a processor also failed but when I put the old one back the PC was it's old self.

Thankful for any advice.

Quiller. 10:34 05 Mar 2011

your motherboard dos not support the Q8300.

click here

Check the fsb of the old cpu in the bios.It may be set to a slower speed, as you have not listed the old cpu name.

KentE 18:37 05 Mar 2011

Thanks Dick,

I see that I misunderstood that list for the mother board. I thought every processor there was OK for that board. My bad!

The old processor is an Intel Cerelon CPU 3.06GHz 3.08GHz. Since I did nothing to the PC except move processors around I did not think any settins would change.

I did a search on FSB SPEED and I think this is too advanced for me.

I'll think I have someone over to have a look at it all instead. Thanks for your help.

Kent

woodchip 19:14 05 Mar 2011

When you inserted the new CPU BIOS will Have tried to Orient the CPU to the Motherboard, so the settings need changing back in the Setup page in BIOS. You could try the Default Settings then Save and Exit Setup

Quiller. 21:36 06 Mar 2011

First check the cpu specs in system properties. If it is not showing the correct one go to bios and select:-

MB intelegent tweeker (M.I.T.)

It wants a cpu host frequencey of 133MHz and a clock ratio of 23 to give you a 3.06GHz cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires