Failed HDD - Though found in Bios

Paroxetine 09:05 24 Aug 2003

Morning all,

click here Pcadvisor Thread.

With reference to the above, I seem to be explaining the same fault over again. To refresh and save and laziness the HDD fails to boot up. The PC is powered on, the BIOS starts and shows the detecting screen of the POST and spends along time searching for the IDE hard disk (primary master, single drive on IDE 1). Instead of showing the details of the drive it simply returns IDE HDD Drive and tries to boot the OS which it cant find since the HDD is not fully recognized. The screen then goes to the Boot failure, press F1 to resume etc. When entering the BIOS and looking at the HDD detection, its shows a Maxtor N40P drive is present. The drive is a Maxtor 6E040L0. Reseting the BIOS does not clear this on boot up.

I have updated the BIOS with no effect. The anti virus software was up to date when the problem occurred. I have tried to run Powermax, Maxdiag and the ERD in Windows 2000 all with no success as they are unable to locate the drive to test. Its been changed to Slave and put on other connectors and cables and also been tested in another PC with exactly the same results.

No wires have been changed and the PC was powered down as normal and then powered on several hours later. The drive does make a noise similar to electric wires being pulled or sparked across each other.

With all this in mind, solutions would be appreciated, bearing in mind the following...

1. The drive showed the symptoms before, it was returned to the supplier who tested, found nothing and charged me to have it returned. It worked immediately on installing into the PC.

2. The drive is obviously showing a fault that is repeating itself. The drive is unfit for the purpose it was intended and I would prefer to swap it out for a different unit. How can I prove all this without sending the drive back?

Suggestions and comments as always warmly welcomed.

P

DieSse 09:18 24 Aug 2003

Take a screenshot to accompany the return of the drive, showing the fault when you try to run the system and the diagnostics on it.

Paroxetine 09:20 24 Aug 2003

Thanks diesse, will do that this morning.

Bodi 09:21 24 Aug 2003

changing the BIOS from automatic detection to "USER" and putting the drive information in manually? This MIGHT work. (Don't forget to set it to LBA)

If it is the sole drive on the system it may also be an idea to set the cable select jumper and ensure that, in the case of 40pin/80 wire cable, that the BLACK connector is connected to the drive.

If this has happened on two computers, I would be inclined to suspect that the drive is probably faulted, and would contact the supplier and explain how the drive has been tested on two/three computers. However, if the supplier has tested the drive and found no fault (mind there is testing and testing, and if it is an intermittent fault -) you may have some trouble.

Not much help, but hope you get your problem sorted soon.

Bodi

Bodi 09:27 24 Aug 2003

When having problems with a faulted item (graphics card) which was returned to supplier and then returned to me as OK, I went to my friendly neighbourhood computer shop. They tested the item, and wrote out a report for me, which was duly sent to the supplier. It cost me £25.00 to get the report, but it was worth it, as finally, the supplier conceded that there was a fault.

Bodi

Paroxetine 10:13 24 Aug 2003

Thanks for that bodi. Managed to get Powermax to do some diag's on the drive and it returned about 3 error codes, so am looking into them now. Will post back later when or if i find out anything.

P

Paroxetine 10:24 24 Aug 2003

Ok, the error codes are :

UK0E02 - failed a quick test
E15E04 - Failed an advanced test
E15S57 - Failed a burn in test

In short and english... cant say fairer then that. I will now attempt to get the drive swapped over, failure to so so by the company involved will result in some very annoying things happening.

Will leave open till its all sorted.

P

DieSse 11:41 24 Aug 2003

You may get on better dealing directly with maxtor, if you aren't already.

On the other hand you might want to ask for your money back from the first episode!

Paroxetine 14:33 24 Aug 2003

Full of good ideas there DieSse, I will 'encourage' them to do just that I think.

I did manage to make the drive boot and get into windows by changing the settings on the BIOS manually, though this has not proved a long term result and as such the drive has failed again totally.

At least i managed to take am image of the drive... phew...

Thanks all.

lixdexik 17:25 24 Aug 2003

click here

It may not tell you the exact problem but it should detect a problem if there is a fault with the HDD.

I used it when my HDD was on the blink and it found a fault but did not specify the problem. It Is a handy utillity to keep though. Hope this helps.

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?