FAILED HARD DRIVE?

shaduf 13:06 19 Jan 2007

Whilst checking the contents of several cased external hard drives this morning one of them failed to open.

The errant drive is correctly recognised as Local Disc E but on attempting to access it I get the message:
E:/ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Properties shows it as Local Disk. File System: RAW, Used Space 0 Bytes. The pie chart shows it as full however which is about correct. Computer Management shows it as Healthy.
The contents are old video files which I still have the tapes for but it would certainly be better if I could access them on the disc.

Any ideas or should I just format it?

jack 14:04 19 Jan 2007

This all depends on the nature of the 'failure'
If the device is spinning but the data is inaccessible then this software may access it - but it will cost about £20 or so for a fully functioning copy.A trial is free- but wont save.
Bad Copy Pro from click here

If it is mechanically dead then it is dead.

Another way is to try it on another machine - it after all may be nothing more than a USB glitch.

A free alternative is to put the whole shebang in a freezer overnight and then hook it up to see what happens- has been known to work.
Do report back what happens.

skidzy 14:38 19 Jan 2007

Lots of apps to recover the data off the drive click here=

shaduf 17:00 19 Jan 2007

Tried most of the suggestions but no luck.
The drive certainly spins and makes a nice buzzing sound and is warm to touch. Just can't access the files.
Will have a further play after tea and if no good, will go for a format.
Problem is, I will never be able to trust it now will I? Still a 250 gb drive is now under £50 so that will be the real solution.
Interesting that others have had exactly the same problem though.

Thanks again.
Shaduf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?