failed hard drive (129GB western digital under 2y

mjid 07:45 02 Oct 2004

i have Athlon xp 2000, 512 ram, agp graph, win XP, 2hard drives. my computer does not detect the drive when loading and even when used as slave. western digital confirmed that it is a drive failed and agreed to replace it, but advice me to go to a third party for data retrival. i contacted one and was quoted over £900.00 which is way too high.
i am wondering if there is any way of retrieving my data.
your advice will be much appreciated
thak you

jack 08:36 02 Oct 2004

Not having had to think about data retreival fom a hard drive, before, in the back of mind I guess when a componant fails during its gaurantee period, it is replaced no. prob. but a hard drive is different of course, its got stuff on it.
My intitial thought is that it should be incumbant of the drive manufacturer or the appointed agent, to put data onto the replacement drive, is it a difficult task?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:46 02 Oct 2004

I am afraid that if you have a failed HD there is virtually nothing that you can do. If data has been erased and the drive is OK then you have a sporting chance. In cases where the drive is kaput you would have to go to a data retrieval service and if you were only quoted £900 you are staring at a bargain. The price that you will be willing to pay will equate with the value of the data on the drive.

Naturally I would,not kick a person when they are down and mention that back ups to a £75 external HD is a necessity these days ;-)) This thread illustrates the importance of having an external HD and not relying on partitions or another internal slave drive.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?