Failed email

mowthecat 08:16 05 Jan 2006

I am getting emails returned when I try to send them to a friend - see below. I have also tried from the same account via webmail on another PC and get the same problem. Emails from other PC's from other accounts (eg. my work PC) are getting through OK. Any Ideas?

----- Original Message -----
To: xxxxxxxxxxx.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:55 PM
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

> This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster>
>
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
> The SMTP Server program
>
> [email protected]>: host smtpin.tesco.net[81.103.221.10] refused to talk to me: 421 aamta03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [193.252.22.158]
>
> [email protected]>: host smtpin.tesco.net[81.103.221.10] refused to talk to me: 421 aamta03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [193.252.22.158]

jack 08:40 05 Jan 2006

There are only two reasons that E-mails fail to deliver and essentially they are the same.
The address is not recognised by the server.
1. The address you sent out is incorrect
or
2. The address you sent to doesnot/no longer exists/is inoperative.

Carefully check the Address book entry you have
it takes but a dot in the wrong place, a capital letter, a ingle character not as it should be.
This could be because of a copying error when you obtained the address by incorrectly writing down when given or even by the giver.
The best way to sort this out is to compose a message then send it to a series of addresses based on variation of the original- in the title line give each address version a different I/D 1 2 3 etc. When they bounce back make a note and delete that address. The one that does not come back is the one to keep so to speak.

recap 09:06 05 Jan 2006

Check your account SMTP setting are correct. To do this, go to Tool/Accounts/Mail select the account in question click Properties then the Server Tab.

mgmcc 09:13 05 Jan 2006

Although you are using a freeserve email address, I assume from the detail in the "bounce" message you are actually sending from an NTL internet connection and SMTP server to the Tesco address?

I have seen numerous postings about problems with mail between these two ISPs, so it is something they need to sort out between them and not necessarily any problem with your PC or settings.

recap 09:27 05 Jan 2006

"I have also tried from the same account via webmail on another PC and get the same problem"

By the above, I am assuming that you use a program such as OE to send your emails? If this is the case, and you have not used the webmail service for some time, then your account may have been disabled.

mowthecat 10:23 05 Jan 2006

Jack

The email addresses are correct - I've even tried just "Reply" to one received from them

mowthecat 10:24 05 Jan 2006

MGMCC

No, I'm not using NTL..I'm logging onto my Freeserve account as usual and sending from there. Emails to other people are getting through OK.

mowthecat 10:26 05 Jan 2006

Recap

On other PC's i'm logging onto Freeserve as usual and using their homepage to check email as webmail

walesrob 10:59 05 Jan 2006

Try doing a trace on the email address to see if its is correct. DNSStuff have a tool called Email test....here : click here

mgmcc 13:57 05 Jan 2006

<<< No, I'm not using NTL..I'm logging onto my Freeserve account as usual and sending from there. >>>

Sorry, I misread the addressing in the "bounce" message. The Tesco IP address is actually an NTL one as they are hosting the service. Even so, I'm fairly certain it is an "inter-ISP" issue that they need to resolve, because NTL's (Tesco's) servers have refused the connection from Wanadoo's (Freeserve's) servers.

mowthecat 14:01 05 Jan 2006

mgmcc

That sounds like what I was thinking - I seem to remember a letter in PCA recently from someone else who had a similar problem - I'll go through my back issues and try to find it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone