Failed Bios Update

Hey all,

Fuji Amilo pi1536 laptop with a Phoenix bios.

Was updating bios yesterday and it got to erasing block 14/17 and it just powered off. (windows based flash, with the bios update recommended on the fuji site for my lappy)

Now when pressed on the power, caps, number lock, scroll lock and hdd activity lights come up and last for about 3 seconds before the laptop switches off and turns back on and repeats the cycle again and again until ac power and or battery is removed.

Is this normal for a failed bios update as this is my first!!!! :(

Have tried the phoenix crisis recovery floppy and it just starts to read the floopy before turning off.

Fuji say i have to replace my mobo and i have been mega unfortunate that something has gone wrong during a flash, but surely if the mobo was dead it wouldnt power up?

Get no display, no beeps no post nothing but do get power!!

Anybody had a failed bios update and can tell me if this behaviour is normal?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 08 Apr 2009

That's why a BIOS flash is always a last resort a failed flash results in a scrap motherboard.

Remove all power from laptop, AC, battery pack and CMOS battery.
Hold power button for 30 seconds to get rid of static and discharge all capacitors.
USE CMOS clera jumper if available on your bord see manual.

Reconnect CMOS battery and mains and try to run the crisis floppy again.

Belatucadrus 22:04 08 Apr 2009

BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System, when it's corrupted there is no meaningful communication between the CPU and the outside world and as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says you're largely up the creek. On a desktop changing the BIOS chip may be an option, on a laptop, getting to it will be difficult if it's at all possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?