A fail safe backup method

MIKE. 14:07 09 May 2009

My neighbour runs his own small business, and has asked me what is the best method of doing a fail safe full backup (I suppose on the lines of cloning). He often compains he is too busy to backup his data but a scare this morning has changed his mind. I need to recomend somthing that if his data gets corrupted or a hardrive crash I can guarantee a full recovery. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. To some degree cost is less important.

mfletch 14:16 09 May 2009

Acronis and a external hard drive is the best way to go,

click here

rawprawn 14:36 09 May 2009

Agreed Acronis and an external drive

MIKE. 14:39 09 May 2009

Thanks folks I am just looking into buying Acronis for him as he has an external H/D.
Thanks again

mfletch 14:50 09 May 2009

Dont forget to create a Acronis bootable recovery disc

AlanHo 16:51 09 May 2009

My home business computer has two internal hard drives and two external eSATA drives.

The internal C: drive contains the OS and all programs

The internal D: drive contains all data files

The external E: drive is used for storing all back-up files.

The external F: drive is used for storing a second identical set of back-up files. This drive is stored in an outbuilding to provide security in case of computer theft or fire.

I use Acronis to back up the C: drive weekly to both external hard drives. I always take a full back-up and not a series of incremental or differential back-ups . I keep the last three back-ups and delete the older ones to conserve disk space

I use a programme called "Second Copy" to back up all data to both external drives. The programme is set to run automatically on computer shut-down and backs up just the data that has changed since the computer was booted. Thus there is a full duplicated back-up of all data kept up to date every day.

By this means I am protected against the failure of any one hard drive.

Strawballs 23:36 09 May 2009

If you buy Acronis on disc the disc itself is bootable

ashleycardwell94 23:42 09 May 2009

Buy a Solid State Drive!,
This means no hard drive failures from so many backups!

mfletch 11:28 10 May 2009

Cheers I got mine off the net direct download from Acronis

DieSse 12:24 10 May 2009

You should use the "Grandfather, Father, Son" strategy for business backups.

3 full backups, rotated around, so that you can always go back to three earlier ones, depending on the problem you get.

In addition, 2 copies of the vital data should also be kept - one of which is away from the system, so that in case of, say, burglary, or fire etc - there is always a safe backup in another place.

Use the Imaging function in Acronis (this is a compressed, full copy of the drive).

So - this is what recommend -

1.) A full image of the drive every week onto an external drive - keep a perpetual history of the last three backups. (External hard drive preferably)

2.) A data backup of essential data, made at least once per day - 2 copies, one of which is removed from the vicinity of the system at night. (Two memory sticks preferably).

Spend a good bit of time setting up the "essential data" backup, and make it as simple as possible - one.cllick preferably.

bjh 12:38 10 May 2009

An important point on all the backup methods is "does the backup you created actually work?".

I have two hard drives in each of my work machines. C is backed up, and the image is then written to D, which becomes the primary boot drive. The image is stored on an external networked hard drive located in another Departmental building.

At home I do something similar; computer has two hard drives, backup image created is immediately expanded to the second drive, and becomes the primary boot. I have to make do with a USB external HDD to store the backups on. This system has to meet US medical and research criteria, so has to be pretty reliable.

This way there is a certainty that the image is functional. If it isn't, it becomes clear p.d.q. and a further image may be made.

At home I use Acronis True Image and, like many others, find it hugely reliable. I don't use the incremental backup as, should one backup fail, future backups are also damaged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache