Factory Reset ?

spy007 00:31 26 Sep 2011

Hi all, Acer Laptop + Vista

This is being written by my Father, as I can’t get onto your site.

I’ve developed a number of niggles with my Acer Laptop.

? For some time, I’ve been struggling to get onto the internet. On the odd occasion that I can get on, only a few sites will actually connect,,, but not the main ones that I want to use. The Router is o.k as it’s used by another family member & I’ve also tried logging on at my Fathers address with his Router – with the same results.

? My system won’t take a Restore Point (but I have just read on these pages a fix for that, which I will try tomorrow.)

? My system won’t ‘update’. I’ve tried Manual & Win Auto update – to no avail.

? I can’t update Flash driver & I can’t delete it to install a new version.

Over the weeks I have done several full scans using AVG, M.S Security & Malwarebytes etc. It always comes up clean.

These problem arise both in IE-9 & Foxfire-6. In my limited experience, I don’t think all this is caused by the same ‘problem’. I don’t have a ‘Back-Up’ in place, so was wondering if I can do a Factory Reset ? I need to get it up’n’running properly.

thanks

birdface 08:32 26 Sep 2011

Press the Fix it on this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Try System Restore in safe mode. [just keep tapping F5 or F8 as the computer starts]

Factory restore you will have to back up any programs Photo's etc that you want to keep as they will be removed.

It should be Tapping F10 or F11 at start up but only as a last resort.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:07 26 Sep 2011

My system won’t ‘update’. I’ve tried Manual & Win Auto update – to no avail.

sounds to me like some services have been switched off

Start - search -type services.msc - press OK

Check Background Intelligent Transfer is enabled in fact probably best to check all our sevices are set to the correct default values see here

birdface 13:43 26 Sep 2011

Tip

If using Black Viper make a note of anything that you change in case you have to change it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?