Facebook virus help

ianeon 16:58 15 Feb 2010

When my daughter logs on to her Facebook account, after a few minutes she gets a message saying that her computer is infected and she should carry out a scan - when she tries to stop this happening a new window opens and a scan starts - it doesn't matter what she does it won't stop. It then tells her to download an anti-virus programme - the programme comes from "click here - the only way to stop this is to switch off the computer and start again, and of course the same thing happens again when she logs onto Facebook - The computer works perfectly apart from this - we have Norton Internet Security, A-squared,Spyware Doctor - they all give a clean bill of health - Google can't help - can anyone here - Thank you for your time - Ian

Sea Urchin 17:34 15 Feb 2010

You've posted a click here link to a rogue program site - I suggest nobody clicks on it.

Try downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and update and run - removing all that it finds.

click here

T0SH 18:36 15 Feb 2010

The Koobface virus would seem to be one of the most common on Face Book at the moment

Cheers HC

ianeon 21:00 15 Feb 2010

Sea Urchin - Thank you for that, but I have done many checks and can find no problem with the computer.
The programme has now morphed into click here
Thank you - Ian

Woolwell 21:15 15 Feb 2010

Did you run Malwarebytes? If you have not done so I strongly suggest that you do.

ianeon 21:37 15 Feb 2010

Woolwell - thank you for that - Yes I did and nine other checks - as i said earlier I think that our computer is clean - Ian

rdave13 21:46 15 Feb 2010

Your first link to 2antivirus - scanner dot com and second link to 4 antivirus - scanner dot com will not load, or not allowed to load in IE.
Run your security programs in safe mode.
IE protected mode on.

ianeon 23:52 15 Feb 2010

rdave13 - Thank you for that thought - although I'm not clever enough to understand why I should do this - I did it - all my tests came up negative - my computer is clean - Ian

Sea Urchin 00:06 16 Feb 2010

The two statements

"after a few minutes she gets a message saying that her computer is infected and she should carry out a scan"

and

"all my tests came up negative - my computer is clean"

don't sit happily together. The message itself is of course the infection.

ianeon 04:16 16 Feb 2010

Sea Urchin - Thank you - So it is possible that the problem lies with the Facebook website ?

ianeon 16:04 16 Feb 2010

Marg7 - Thank you for those thoughts. Your second I do automatically a few times a day. I also use Norton, plus seven other anti-spyware programmes. I also use Adblock Pro. So I think that Iam well covered.
The big plus in all this is that my daughter tells me that the infection hasn't appeared today. So possibly Facebook have done something about it.
Thank you to everyone for their input into this matter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache