facebook query

Smokeyone 09:32 15 Jul 2010

Hello
I have received the standard e-mail from Facebook
asking me to join and become one of "joe bloggs" friends. Joe Bloggs already being a friend of mine but not connected with Facebook.
Underneath it lists names of people who I might wish to ask to become my friends - I hope I have this correct.
My query is how does Facebook make up this list as half of this list are my friends already (nothing to do with Facebook) but have no connection with each other and do not know each other.
Thanks

fitshase 09:46 15 Jul 2010

Have you set your settings to use your contacts address book in your e-mail program?

Smokeyone 10:07 15 Jul 2010

Nope, not touched it...

lotvic 10:13 15 Jul 2010

Treat the email as spam.
If one of the people on the list are Facebook members and has allowed Facebook to use their contacts address book on their pc to 'find friends' and you and other friends of yours are on that list, Facebook will have sent invites out to them using a random name from list.

I'm not on Facebook either, but regularly get these 'invites' - sometimes from a name I know and other times from strangers.
Mostly the names that you recognise are a coincidence and are not actually the same person that you do know by that name.

Smokeyone 11:18 15 Jul 2010

Thanks very much for the help.

john bunyan 13:32 15 Jul 2010

I have had a couple of these. I think there was an option, which I utilised, to tell Facebook not to ask again.Since then, no more invites.

Smokeyone 13:54 15 Jul 2010

I'll see if I can find the "option".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?