Facebook problem with invites

stlucia 08:12 11 Nov 2010

I know there's a Facebook forum, but not many of the posts there seem to get any replies, so I thought I'd try here:

I'm one of the two adminstrators of our club's Facebook page. I'm trying to invite other club members to be "friends" of the page so we can exchange info on it, but the Facebook "Invite people to join" function doesn't seem to work. I input an email address into the appropriate box, and click on the "Send invitations" button, but invitations don't seem to be received at the email addresses. I've tried it with one of my own email addresses, and nothing's arrived. It's not in my spam folder either, and I've sent the invite twice now over the past three days.

Even though I'm PC-savvy enough to write my own basic software, and design and maintain our club's web site, Facebook is baffling me in several respects. Can someone help by explaining the correct way of getting people to join Facebook and then become "friends" of our club page, please?

northumbria61 11:21 11 Nov 2010

I am not a big user of Facebook but I would think it may have something to do with your Privacy Settings.

stlucia 11:56 11 Nov 2010

Well, we've got the privacy setting to "Friends only" under all headings.

But, surely, that shouldn't prevent us from inviting new people to become "friends"?

lotvic 12:10 11 Nov 2010

I found these instructions on page 5 of click here

"Go to your FB page...

Look at the top left (under your page's image)...

It should have such options as Edit Page, Promote Page With An Advert, etc

The last option here is 'More' in grey text...

Click on this.

An option appears entitled 'Suggest To Friends'.

Click on this and whalla!!! You can invite your friends to join your page."

stlucia 13:28 11 Nov 2010

Thanks for researching, lotvic, but the options on our club page seem to be different from the ones mentioned in the link.

Under our page's image I've got the following options:-

Message all members
Edit group settings
Edit members
Invite people to join
Create group event

Reading further on the page you've linked, it seems there's lots of people with the same problem as me, and no real solution. Some people have the "More" link, and others seem to have the "Invite..." link that I have; some can make it work, and some can't.

lotvic 16:32 11 Nov 2010

Well at least you know it's not just you ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone