Extremely slow and freezing IE7!!

spuds 16:36 01 Jun 2008

Having had problems in the past with IE7, I returned back to IE6. Thinking that I would give IE7 another go, I duly downloaded and everything seemed fine.

Over the weekend I seem to have a go slow and freeze situation. Rebooting IE7 seems to clear the problem for a short time, then things start to go wrong again.

Using other browsers seem to be okay, its just IE7.

Any recommendations or advice on how to resolve this particular IE7 problem. I do not want to let it beat me!.

Woolwell 17:28 01 Jun 2008

Try IE7 without any add-ons. If XP then you will find this under Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools. If IE7 goes back to normal then there could be an add-on problem.

Which anti-virus are you running? The anti-phishing feature can slow things down. You could try temporarily turning that off within IE7 and your anti-virus.

Clear your cache and see if this also speeds things up again.

spuds 18:19 01 Jun 2008

Woolwell-- The computer is XP Home and its showing no add-ons. Anti-phishing is turned off. Anti-virus is Avast.

Done a clean-up pre and present, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. At present the computer is going fairly fast and good, but I suspect the gremlin will return before the nights out.

Woolwell 19:18 01 Jun 2008

Surprised that IE7 hasn't got any add-ons running. Go to Tools - Manage Add-ons - Enable or Disable Add-ons and you will probably see a list. You could try disabling one at time and see if it speeds up.

sinbads 19:26 01 Jun 2008

Try IE7 reset........tools/internet options/advanced/ reset at the bottom.

spuds 10:23 02 Jun 2008

The computer is working fine again, so whatever was causing the problem seems to have gone into hiding (again!).

Will look at your suggestions again, and see if this discovers anything that might result in a cure, should the problem return.

I will leave this thread open for a while longer. Thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?