Extracting pre-installed software

algernonymous 20:05 30 Apr 2007

Evening all.
I have a laptop with XP and MS Works pre-installed. I also have a desktop which, following some problems with the HDD, I have just reformatted and done a fresh OS (98SE) install. This PC had Office 2000 on it but I wondered if it would now be possible to swap them over? I have Office 2000 on discs so obviously I can load that but it is possible to extract the MS Works from the laptop and put it onto the Desktop?

Tyfyt.

VoG II 20:08 30 Apr 2007

"it is possible to extract the MS Works from the laptop and put it onto the Desktop?"

No.

algernonymous 20:11 30 Apr 2007

Bah humbug.

Thanks VoG™

woodchip 23:26 30 Apr 2007

Check to see if there is another Partition with Works folder on it. If there is you should be able to copy it to a CD then run it on the other comp. If you have the Key for it

algernonymous 21:01 04 May 2007

There is only a C: partition showing in My Computer, although looking in Disk Management I see there is an unnamed partition which is 4.3Gb in size (C: is 32.95). What's that all about? I've been robbed!

The only MS Works folder I can see is in Proram Files.

algernonymous 21:02 04 May 2007

Oops, Program.

SANTOS7 21:07 04 May 2007

algernonymous me old coconut, it's your lucky day, i have a copy of the WORKS SUITE 2000 (8 discs) been sat in me drawer for about 4 years, it has word and all the other stuff on it, if you can find a use for it you can have it.
comes of course with the book that has the CoA and product key....

woodchip 21:09 04 May 2007

If you run your Rwestore it should put Work's back on if you have had it on the computer but it will wipe your files and drive. You cannot as far as I can see get Works from this hidden Partition

algernonymous 21:58 04 May 2007

SANTOS7
How did you know I'm a coconut? Just cos I'm a little shy...
Thanks for the generous offer but please don't be offended if I don't take you up on it. I'm quite happy with what I've got, to be honest I use them very rarely, I just wondered if what I was trying to achieve was possible. Thanks again.

woodchip/anyone
So what's that 4.3gig partition I can't access all about? It even has 48% free space.

woodchip 22:02 04 May 2007

It's the Restore Partition for that computer. Activated by key combination or a boot disc

SANTOS7 22:43 04 May 2007

Not a problem my friend and of course i am not offended, it's one of those things you sort of hang on to, ya never know when someone can put it to good use.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?