extract file and dir info from discs.

geedad 07:50 16 Nov 2010

I need a freebie app. to extract files and directories information, and then to print it, preferably in one fell swoop. This is for placing with the CD/DVD to allow me to check what is on the discs at a later time.
Any ideas?
geedad

BurrWalnut 08:41 16 Nov 2010

You haven’t said which OS you’re running, so I’ll assume XP. This will create a Notepad file which you can then print.

1. To display all the files on, say, the drive D, copy the following 4 lines:
attrib /s D:\*.* >"%userprofile%\desktop\myfiles.txt
start notepad "%userprofile%\desktop\myfiles.txt
exit
cls

Now go to a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type cmd and press Enter. Using the mouse right-click, Paste the 4 copied lines to the command prompt window. A file, myfiles.txt is created on the Desktop and Notepad will open and display the list of files. Print it via File > Print.

2. Change the first line for other examples but remove my comments at the end:

attrib /s E:\*.mp3 >"%userprofile%\desktop\myfiles.txt - list all the .mp3 files on drive E
attrib /s D:\m*.* >"%userprofile%\desktop\myfiles.txt - list all the files beginning with M on drive D
attrib /s F:\m*.mp3 >"%userprofile%\desktop\myfiles.txt - list all the .mp3 files beginning with M on drive F

natdoor 08:49 16 Nov 2010

I don't know about one fell swoop but listing in Windows Explorer and using screen capture click here would enable you to printa copy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 16 Nov 2010

Karens print directory click here

geedad 21:21 16 Nov 2010

BurrWalnut
natdoor
Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thank you , Forum members. Your input has been great and I have tried and opted for Karen's Print Directoy which suits me fine.
geedad

woodchip 21:32 16 Nov 2010

If you have Acronis, Create a Image of the Partition, You can then mount the Image at any time after to get files of it, After Mounting the Image it looks like a normal Partition to work with to get files off, meaning copy paste from it. Not Delete Files as the Image would then be no good

geedad 22:19 16 Nov 2010

woodchip
Thanks, woodchip,(again!)
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017