extra HDD space required

herc182 20:13 07 Sep 2004

Dear all,

I want to get another HDD and was wondering what you recommend.

Realistically i dont wanna spend over £70. A little searching on DABS for external HDD shows that they are a tad pricey. so two things:

a) what External HDD would you recommend (looking for about 100gb)

b) is it easy to install an internal HDD? does my psu have to change (currently 300W)?

thanks

Phil

Cook2 20:23 07 Sep 2004

Switch off your computer.
Open it up.
Set your new HDD to Slave.
Slide it into the vacant slot and secure with supplied screws.
You have extra power plug plus IDE to plug into it.
Just follow the existing connectors from your hard drive back down the leads. Plug these in, put sides back on, plug in and switch.

I use my secong hard drive for all my pics and videos.

Cook2 20:23 07 Sep 2004

Switch off your computer.
Open it up.
Set your new HDD to Slave.
Slide it into the vacant slot and secure with supplied screws.
You have extra power plug plus IDE to plug into it.
Just follow the existing connectors from your hard drive back down the leads. Plug these in, put sides back on, plug in and switch.

I use my secong hard drive for all my pics and videos.

Dorsai 20:58 07 Sep 2004

Internal HDD's not hard to fit. I Assume the system out of warranty. If still under warranty, would guess the HDD was quite large, so not need more room.

All needed is the room in the case to put the new HDD, a power cable to plug it into, room on an IDE/SATA cable, and a philips scredriver. An antistatic wrist strap not compulsory, but a good idea.

I found a fairly good set of instructions, but as i was reading them spy-bot popped up, and said some malware was trying to load onto my sytem, from the site i was at. So i will leave it to others to post a good set of instructions, as dinner now ready, and the misses saying "leave the PC alone, dinner ready"

herc182 21:13 07 Sep 2004

right ok. any good links to installation instructions from anyone?

and are there any standards i should look out for (i.e is there a HDD that WONT work on any type of computer?)

thanks loads

herc182 21:52 07 Sep 2004

i dont wanna do anything special, like boot from this HDD, just want it for storage of videos and pics

PSF 22:40 07 Sep 2004

Installing a hard drive is straight forward.
You should be able to get a 120 Gb Hard drive for around £55-60. examples here: click here

The manufactures sites have information on installing and setting up the drives. example click here*BBDVkh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTcmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTkxJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTEyMyZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWluc3RhbGwrZWlkZStqdW1wZXIrc2V0dGluZ3M*&p_li=

If you have a look around that site it explains about size limitations as well.

If your pc is a couple of years old you will need a ATA hard drive and NOT a SATA hard drive. These will only work on newer pc's or via a controller card.

herc182 18:31 08 Sep 2004

I will look into it. will have a poke around the insides of my pc and make sure i can fit it! although it is only 2 years old so should be ok.

herc182 22:53 15 Sep 2004

anyone recomend any other sites that i could buy a HDD from? looking for 100gb+.

thanks

Jeffers22 09:20 16 Sep 2004

Maxtor 120Gb for around £50 from click here

herc182 09:50 18 Nov 2004

i posted this a while back, but have opted to get it now (sick of burning cds all the time!).

am either gonna get

click here
or
click here

the difference being that one is 80 gb (with 8mb buffer) and one is 120gb (with 2mb buffer).

two queries:

will i need anything more than what is supplied by dabs to install the HDD, and

is buffer size a big issue (ie will i notice the difference?).

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?