An Extra hard Drive

Solartopi 20:31 26 Jan 2007

Hi Folks,

I wish to install another Internal Or External Hard Drive to my computer just to take all my Personal work like writing & family pictures & music. Would I have to put my Operating System Windows XP pro and office Xp on to use either of these Hard drives to use them.

Please advise.

Thanks

Solartopi

VoG II 20:34 26 Jan 2007

No - you would not need to install Windows on either an internal or external HDD.

RobCharles1981 20:35 26 Jan 2007

No you won't if your going to add an external hard drive you just plug it in and away you go, but if you are going to have an internal hard drive you put it as a "Slave" Drive by changing the jumper pin on the back of the hard drive.

karmgord 20:42 26 Jan 2007

buy a large enough drive to back up your compuer as well as your files separately,that way you are doubly safe,Maxtor external drives come with one touch back up software

Solartopi 21:35 26 Jan 2007

VoG™,Rob_25_Wales, karmgord,

Thanks for all your prompt replies.

Just one more question please. Would either hard drive the external or 2nd Internal hard drive be vulnerable to viruses if my computer was effected?

Thanks

Solartopi

VoG II 21:37 26 Jan 2007
  Solartopi 22:05 26 Jan 2007

VoG™,

Thanks very much. Got the idea.

Solartopi

karmgord 22:41 26 Jan 2007

It is important you back up your computer BEFORE you get any viruses that way you will be able to restore a clean install

Solartopi 14:51 28 Jan 2007

Hi there Folks,

Yes thank you all for all your advise. Bsfore I put A Tick on Resolved could any one tell me: I have a very old computer, about seven years old. it came with a 20gig hard drive. Will a say 400gig External Hard Drive work on my aged como puter. I can get this off a friend literally for a song. I want to know before I take it off him.

Thanks

Solartopi

Solartopi 14:52 28 Jan 2007

Hi there Folks,

Yes thank you all for all your advise. Bsfore I put A Tick on Resolved could any one tell me: I have a very old computer, about seven years old. it came with a 20gig hard drive. Will a say 400gig External Hard Drive work on my aged como puter. I can get this off a friend literally for a song. I want to know before I take it off him.

Thanks

Solartopi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 28 Jan 2007

should work in an external caddy as XP SP2 will recognise the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?