Extra browsers keep opening with adverts etc

andy625 14:39 12 Apr 2007

I have been experiencing a problem recently with my pc, similar to the one described here:
click here, but not quite as severe.

Whenever I open internet explorer, after a few seconds another internet explorer opens on its own displaying a website either advertising a gambling site, 888.com, ebay, or something similar. My pc's running w2000 with IE6. I've tried running spybot, which made no difference. I'm assuming I need to try some of the programs recommended in the other thread? adaware ewido etc??

I can still open browsers, download files, look at email etc, just as long as I keep closing all these other browsers that pop open.

Kate B 14:41 12 Apr 2007

Spybot, Adaware, Superantispyware, Windows Defender, your AV program (updated, of course) and A Squared. And ditch IE and move to Firefox.

VoG II 14:41 12 Apr 2007

Try these - update then scan

Superantispyware click here

AVG Antispyware click here

woodchip 14:45 12 Apr 2007

If you used Netscape 7.2 it does not get targeted like IE or Firefox click here

andy625 14:53 12 Apr 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them out when I get home.

njneiljones100 15:17 12 Apr 2007

i ran every spyware and virus checker i could find but nothing ,it kept coming up on internet explorer. ie 7 is the same so i got fed up and switched to firefox. it takes some getting used to but its best thing i did and problem stopped ,i dont use ie no more

Kate B 16:44 12 Apr 2007

I suspect you've got some kind of infestation otherwise you wouldn't have had those issues with IE. I'm glad you're pleased with the switch to Firefox but it's worth nailing down whatever's in your system. I suggest running Hijack This click here and posting the resulting log in their forums where experts will decipher it for you.

Meantime, I suggest you add to your installation of Firefox these three extensions, which mean you'll never see another ad again: click here click here and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?