external xp drive on vista pc

bluenote 10:55 29 Dec 2008

if i connect my old xp hardrive via external caddy will i be able to run programs unable to run on vista.

howard64 11:05 29 Dec 2008

if your pc can be set to boot from usb it should be able to load and run xp. The only prob being if the pc is different to that in which the xp was installed. It might work.

bluenote 18:43 29 Dec 2008

it is a new computer with vista pre-installed and i thought i could take my old xp loaded harddrive and connected via an external caddy i can run my unupgradable (is that a real word?)programs on it.

howard64 07:55 30 Dec 2008

I doubt that you would get xp to run but if you have your original xp cd you could get it to boot from the cd, by setting the bios to boot from cd, then you could try the repair option on the usb drive. A better option if you could do it would be to temporarely install the old hard drive in the new pc then run the xp cd and the repair option which will set the drive to the new pc. Then remove it and put it back in the usb caddy. Then by booting from usb it should work ok. Again if you have the xp cd you could set up a dual booting setup in your new pc.

bluenote 08:36 30 Dec 2008

Thank you howard64 for your input i will try some of your ideas although i am a bit concerned about invalidating my warranty by opening the case.

howard64 09:11 30 Dec 2008

normally opening the case does not invalidate the warranty. If you want any further ideas just post.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 30 Dec 2008

No
you cannot get XP to boot from an external drive without a great deal of modification to the op system.

plus if the drive is from a different machine the drivers would all be wrong anyway.

What exactly do you need to run in vista?

bluenote 15:35 30 Dec 2008

i would like to run nero6 ,scrabble,and various other programs that i have bought but no longer work with vista .

bluenote 17:16 01 Jan 2009

solved the problem by dual booting xp and vista.the trouble is xp doesn't recognise the ethernet connection,or the sound card .

bluenote 19:21 01 Jan 2009

clicked resolved but opening new thread as a follow on. Thanks howard and fruit bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?