External USB Hard Drive problem

hagman777 23:23 23 Jul 2007

Hi i am having a lot of problems with my Pc not seeing any usb external hard drives acouple of weeks ago i had some problem with my existing usb drive an iomega caused by a program i was using having solved that i decided i would like a bigger external drive so i bought a Packard Bell Store and save but my pc would not see it so i thought iyt might be faulty so i went out and bought another one which was another Iomega and same again my computer couldnt see that drive.I Did some trouble shhoting trying other usb ports to no avail i have also tried both these drives on my laptop the Packard Bell works fine and can be seen the new iomega come up with the message invaild system disk please replace so i am thinking thst drive may be faulty and to baffle me my original iomega drive works fine so i am back to square one is this a driver realted problem or a hardware issue i am totally confused please help i am tearing what littele hair i have left out.

woodchip 23:30 23 Jul 2007

Have you looked in Disc Management. You do say it was not recognised,Was that in DOS BIOS or Windows?

ambra4 03:18 27 Jul 2007

Installing External USB Hard Drive in Windows XP

Go to this site and at the bottom of pictures of HD cases there is instruction on formatting the new drive just follow the instructions

Installing the Hard Drive in Windows XP

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 27 Jul 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?