external usb hard disk keeps dis-connecting

alecomarch 19:17 26 Jan 2007

Hi,

I work from two pc's - one at the office (both xp pro), and one at home. So that I always have the same files with me all the time, I work directly from a portable hard disk. I know that this probably isn't the best idea in the world, but it's worked perfectly for almost a year.

At the office, it still works fine, but at home, the usb drive keeps disconnecting, and I have to re-boot every time it happens, and I have lost work through it several times. It's only started doing this recently, and it's a real pain!

The only thing I can think that I've changed, is that I've changed my anti-virus from Bullguard to AVG (free edition). Could that be the cause?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Alex

howard64 19:23 26 Jan 2007

have you tried using system restore to go back to when all was well before you put avg on if this cures it you have the answer but I doubt it is avg doing it.

Graham. 19:23 26 Jan 2007

Any other USB devices that are likely to cause a power drain, a modem, for instance? I assume the drive is mains powered?

alecomarch 19:28 26 Jan 2007

Wow - v.quick suggestions - thank you!

howard64, I haven't tried a system roll back - but I will!

Graham - It isn't mains powered - just usb, although it's got a dc in jack (but not in use).

I do run a usb modem (which is mains powered too) - do you think that could be it?

Many thanks

Technotiger 20:48 26 Jan 2007

Hi, I would advise trying it powered, should not be to difficult to get a power adapter.

woodchip 20:54 26 Jan 2007

As above it should be mains powered for a Desktop drive. But you need to get the correct volts Mains Adapter or you will blow it

karmgord 21:00 26 Jan 2007

I agree with above even powered usb hubs would struggle to spin up a hard drive i would get an external power supply for the hard drive enclosure

alecomarch 14:19 30 Jan 2007

Thanks for replys. It needs a 5vDC, 0.5A power supply, with a little round jack.

I'm struggling to find one - any ideas where to look?

Thanks

Technotiger 16:51 30 Jan 2007

Power supply ...

click here

cycoze 18:04 30 Jan 2007

Check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager> scroll to and open USB Controllers, right click each listed USB Hub and select properties then select Power Management, make sure there is NO tick in the box for `allow the computer to turn this device off to save power`, if there is a tick, remove it.

woodchip 22:57 30 Jan 2007

You could get one from one of those cheap shops that sell multi volts Adapters, just check you set the adapter to correct volts and Jack to the right polarity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone