External USB drive

mikel1878 22:23 16 Oct 2007

I recently bought an external drive for backing up to. It is a 80GB drive and when I first connected it my desktop, it ran automatically. I backed my files up no problem. I repeated this on my laptop and my works desktop. After a month or so, both my desktop and laptop no longer recognise the drive. I get the audible signal when I plug it in and when I unplug it but it doesn't show in explorer. My works machine however recognises it and I can transfer files no problem. Ant suggestions why it doesn't work on either of my home computers. All three machines use XP pro.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 16 Oct 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:16 16 Oct 2007

or..go to start-control panel-administrative tools-computer management-storage-disk management-select your external disk-right click-change letter or path-change- and choose another drive letter towards the end of the alphabet such as R,S,V or one that is not in use..

G

mikel1878 20:30 17 Oct 2007

Gandalf: When I got this drive I changed the drive letter to 'X'. I cannot change it as you describe because the drive doesn't show.
Fruit bat:You say to uninstall everything under USB - do you mean USB controllers because that is all that shows. Standard enhanced PCI to USB etc. If I uninstall these wont that mess the system up completely. Please advise. Thanks.

mikel1878 19:02 18 Oct 2007

Fruit bat - can you advise?

refresh usb stack
click here
another thing you may want to try is shut down windows,turn off the pc,remove power lead from the back,so zero electricity is getting to the pc
leave for 30 mins,connect back up and restart pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?