external hdd is fat32

Daiol 16:37 12 Feb 2008

Hi,just bought an external hdd for backup use,I'm using windows xp pro and when i went to use the windows backup system it told me that my disc was a FAT32 when i checked right click and properties it was correct its a FAT32 so windows could not do a backup for me so can i format this drive to a NTFS format and how long a process would it be,also i have some info on it that i draged and dropt method onto it will i loose the files that are on it by reformating it to NTFS?? thanks daiol.

anskyber 16:40 12 Feb 2008
  woodchip 16:46 12 Feb 2008

It should backup just the same, It would if you used Acronis True Image

Daiol 16:47 12 Feb 2008

anskyber. thanks for that info,can you clarify one thing for me is it correct that my pc C hdd should be NTFS format.thats what it is with me.

johndrew 16:48 12 Feb 2008

If you re-format to NTFS any data will be overwritten and lost.

With your external drive connected and visible in `My Computer` open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

anskyber 16:51 12 Feb 2008

Most PCs are in NTFS these days, many laptops are however in FAT32.

anskyber 16:52 12 Feb 2008

PS as johndrew has hinted when you format make sure it's the external HDD that you are changing!

Daiol 20:47 12 Feb 2008

thankyou all got enough info to carry.Thanks all once again.daiol

woodchip 21:23 12 Feb 2008

I have two XP ntfs computers but use a Fat32 External USB drive so I can see it on my 98 computer also. It should work as above on Fat32

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?