External HDD Enclosure

acsmanhtml12 20:24 05 Aug 2006

I have added an Akasa Integral USB 3.5" IDE HDD Enclosure to my PC. Windows recognizes, installs automatically and reports that it has finished. When I open up MY Computer to acces files the drive isn't shown> What shall I do.

sean-278262 20:28 05 Aug 2006

You need to activate the drive. Had the same problem myself only 2 weeks ago.

click here

acsmanhtml12 09:03 06 Aug 2006

I have set the cable to Master like in the post that you did, and am finding the software/ getting into thhe drive still won't work. Have put it as Master and I still can't see or access the drive. Any thoughts?

Jak_1 10:01 06 Aug 2006

This may sound daft, but has the drive in the caddy been formatted?

For a drive to be recognised it has to be formatted prior to use in a caddy/enclosure. To do this slave it to your main drive and format it via the Control Panel.

Control Panel > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

acsmanhtml12 10:24 06 Aug 2006

Ah, it is formatted, and connected to my laptop. I do have a PC which I did have it in as a secondary, but the drive dose have a copy of XP on would this cause the problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 06 Aug 2006

but the drive dose have a copy of XP on would this cause the problems

It shoudn't do,

Can you see the drive in My computer or Disk management?

acsmanhtml12 11:04 06 Aug 2006

No I can't see the drive anywhere. Windows did install it and now says the drivers aren't installed and Akasa's derivers don't work on XP!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 06 Aug 2006

Uninstall everything under the heading USB in device manager. (root hubs and all)

with the drive still plugged in and powered up reboot the PC. shoud then find and intall new hardware put all your USB ports back and the drive. (no drivers required for XP)

acsmanhtml12 12:10 06 Aug 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat for all the help. I am trying it now, but by uninstall do you mean that or disable them?

acsmanhtml12 12:15 06 Aug 2006

Also do I uninstall USB to PCI and things like that I have six three USB root hubs abd three like the one above

acsmanhtml12 12:50 06 Aug 2006

Anybody want to help any further, it still dosen't recognize the device and can't update the Windows Drivers. If I connect it to the other PC in my house I'm back at square one!! HELP ME PLEASE. I'M LOOSING HAIR OVER THIS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?