External HDD changing format???

j18psf 23:06 04 Nov 2008

Hi, I have a WD 320gb passport HDD, all is great except I cannot add files larger than 4.25gb. How can I make the HDD accept larger files for storing movies etc?

Is there away to format the HDD without losing the data that is already on?

I am running vista premium.

Thanks
Paul

Rahere 23:19 04 Nov 2008

Many external drives are formatted in FAT the most compatible file system the most recent version- FAT32- is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB.

You can convert the file system one way FAT to NTFS but not back without formatting and reinstalling.....if you want to do this check if your external drive is formatted to FAT32
In My Computer - right click the external drive and check the format type is FAT type.

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt:

Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

j18psf 02:46 05 Nov 2008

Thanks for the speedy reply, I will give that a try. So this will defiantly not erase the data which is on the HDD already? Just want to make sure.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie