External HDD changing boot order

staples printer cartridge 12:42 17 Apr 2007

I have 3 HDD - one for windows, one internal for storage and one external USB for backup. If the external is switched on when I boot up the pc boots up on my storage IDE drive instead of the correct SATA Raid setup! Turn it off and it reverts to booting normally. ANy ideas please - it doesn't happen often as I usually have the external drive switched off, but it does happen everytime it is swithced on.

xania 13:18 17 Apr 2007

Check your boot sequence in your BIOS. I suspect that the PC is looking at your USB devices before your HDD. You iseally need your boot sequence to be

1. FDD - if installed
2. CD/DVD
3. HDD
4. USB

However, I have to say that, in your position, I would be inclined to only switch your USB device on when you need it - after boot-up. I cannot think of any reason, other than to boot from it, why you would have your external drive switched on when you boot up.

staples printer cartridge 16:43 17 Apr 2007

Thanks, the boot sequence doesn't show USB at all. Generally I do not have it on unless I use it but on the odd occasion I forget or reboot for software updates and it is on it is annoying; plus the fact that I can't see a reason for it.

xania 08:53 18 Apr 2007

In that case I can only assume that your BIOS is reading your USB port as a CD/DVD in which case there's nothing I can think of to help. Others may be more knowledgeable.

staples printer cartridge 09:02 18 Apr 2007

ok, thanks for your input anyway.
Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?