external hdd advice please

Kate B 12:15 15 Oct 2004

I'm going to ask Santa for a big external hard drive and if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

In an ideal world it would plug into the the router so I can access it wirelessly and I'd be able to back up both the iBook and the PC to it.

Alternatively I can live without being able to back up the entire iBook to it but I would like the iBook to get at it wirelessly via the router, ie not switching the main PC.

Does such a beast exist?

ICF 12:33 15 Oct 2004

Just plug it into your USB 2/Firewire port and share the drive on your network.

Kate B 12:38 15 Oct 2004

ICF, wouldn't I have to have the main PC switched on to share it if it goes into the Firewire/USB? I want to avoid that if possible

uisquebeathus 13:01 15 Oct 2004

the technology does not exist yet to do what you require as the drive data must be interpreted by operating system Linux or Windows and CPU. A router chipset does not have the information or functions built into it yet! You will still require the Computer on line to enable the data to be written or read from any external drive by Firewire oy USB2.

byfordr 13:24 15 Oct 2004

I've 2 one maxtor one lacie.

The maxtor is the slightly more functional unit having 2 firewire, 1 usb2 and good backup software.

The lacie is slightly smaller.

Both get fairly hot.

R

pmjd 14:07 15 Oct 2004

How about network attached storage
A bit pricey at £300 for 120GB but it can plug into a router and you can add an additional HDD if needed
click here

Though big backup's over wireless could take a while;)

Cheers,
Paul

Kate B 14:14 15 Oct 2004

pmjd, that looks the business! Bit outside Santa's budget, though. And I guess I'm just too far ahead of my time on what I want to be able to do with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone